Saturday, May 15, 2010

Best Practices to Nurture your Child's Faith


I was reading one of those ParentLife Magazines (from Lifeway I think), and ran across an article about nurturing the faith of your children. I found it intriguing because, as a new parent, I often wonder if I will do the right things to show Avery who God really is and how much he really loves her. I know that as parents, her spiritual foundation is our responsibility. All of her education on God and religion comes from us and what we expose her to until she reaches the age where she may seek things on her own and make her own decisions. I want her to have a strong foundation, and to be able to see God in everyday things...to be able to connect with him on a deeper spiritual level as she matures...to know him and love him for all that he's done for her, and to cling to him for the rest of her life. That sounds like such a big and scary job! Thankfully, I know God is there to lead us along the way!
Ultimately, it's not so much what I say to her, it's what I do with her and with my own life to show her. After all, just like in the picture above- she's in our hands.
I thought these were good tips to go by, so I listed them here in a nutshell.

1. Help her to see her gifts and provide her with good education that she may use those gifts to serve and love others- make a difference in the world.

2. Expose her to the arts, and help her appreciate them.

3. Teach her that taking care of herself and her body are ways of honoring God.

4. Teach her about marriage using the Bible.

5. Listen to her as she grows and let her challenge your faith.

6. Remember that parental authority has limits, God'd doesn't. Our final loyalty is to God alone.

7. Discuss things in nature that God created.

8. Pray and read/discuss the Bible with her.

9. Explain the Bible as a book of wisdom you will always learn from and never fully
conquer.

10. Dedicate Sunday to church and family.

11. Serve others around you and in your community as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment