Sunday, January 17, 2016

Kindergarten, The First Half



Avery's first semester of Kindergarten went very well. I love having her at school with me! While, she has gotten upset during drills and didn't want to go to the community helpers visit at school, she has overcome so much. I have to add that during the drills, she has been seen walking the building with Mrs. Morehead, our assistant principal, and during the community helper visits, Avery was an assistant to our sweet secretary, Mrs. Debbie. Aside from that, if she's gotten nervous or upset during a noisy assembly, she seems to find her way into my lap or the lap of Mrs. Jackson, our administrator (who also took Avery to her office to read a  book one time). It makes me feel SO good seeing all the love she receives from our staff. She is well taken care of. While she often did things like that earlier in the year, those moments have become much less frequent. She was afraid of the huge germ brought in by a team who was teaching the importance of good hand washing, but she was fine visiting my class for a short period of time that day. As you can see below, Avery has been dressing up! She had so much fun during 50's Day and Red Ribbon Week. I think the days of being terrified of costumes may be coming to an end. Avery is making great grades, and she seems to be acquiring skills very well. She is especially good with sight words thanks to her good memory. She completes her work with little help from her IEP teachers, and she thoroughly enjoys coming to school each day. Her teachers, Mrs. McCarty and Mrs. Byest have much to do with her love of school. They are both wonderful! She also loves her IEP teacher (Mrs. Lowry at first), Mrs. Williams, and each of her special area teachers. Avery's artistic ability seems to be blossoming. She plays school, colors, or draws most of the time when she is home or in my room after school. She's still very social and has lots of friends, so I continue to be thankful for her fun-loving personality! By the end of the semester, Avery had moved from lower A's to higher in A's in both Reading and Math, and she grew 139 points on her STAR Early Literacy computerized test. Her speaking and listening went from needing improvement to satisfactory, and I can't express how impressed I am with her. I'm blown away really, and I sadly think I have underestimated her! She has done better in school than I would have ever expected! I've always known how smart Avery is, despite all of her set-backs in life, but her lack of interest and the way she seemed so behind before K, had me worried. She is so different this year! She loves to participate and show off what she's learning, and she WANTS to read with me. This is all so new, but I love it! Keep blowing our socks off, Avery!



First Day of "Little Movers" at Studio Sole





Pearl Lower B-Hall Tailgate



The 50th Day of School



























Pearl High School Dace/Cheer Camp



















Avery's handwriting is so much better!



Pirate Homecoming Parade

































Dance/Cheer Performance at PHS




































Avery's First K Field Trip: Nichols-Boyd Pumpkin Patch





























Avery's Bestie, Kaliyah

































Red Ribbon Week

Wear Red Day




Sock It To Drugs Day






Team Up Against Drugs Day




Hats Off  To Drugs Day






Career Day

Avery wants to be a chef at her favorite restaurant, Chick-fil-a. We stopped by and brought her teachers a chicken biscuit that morning.













B-Hall Pete the Cat(s)


Dress Up Day at Studio Sole


Farm Day

Avery did get upset about the animals this day. I let her tag along with my class, and she ended up being just fine with her own class after the animal visit. Her favorite parts were eating fresh corn and doing line dances led by two of her favorites, Mrs. Berger and Mrs. Head.
































































































Avery's Disguise a Turkey Project: Cinder-turk-ella





PHS Football Game Recognition: Great Behavior In School!













Thanksgiving Feast









Florence Christmas Parade with Studio Sole: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree





























































Dance Christmas Party






















PJ Day



Grandparent's Breakfast with Grammy



Students from Avery's Class doing the morning announcements






















Cookies and Milk with the Principals for STAR Test Growth



Christmas Party Day





I have to say that this woman here has been such a blessing to me this year! She's my wonderful part-time assistant, Mrs. Peggy. She loves on my kids and me! She knew I'd be down around the holidays with my mom being at Mitch's and my dad not being here this year. She invited me over to eat with her sweet family (Christy, her daughter, and I worked together for some time and became great friends). We had the best time, and it really cheered me up! She always encourages Avery, will take her to breakfast and the pencil store, and even rewarded her with a prize for her good grades. I love how God places special people in my path when I really need them! Below is the gift she gave the kids for Christmas. Now, she did not have to do that!







1st Semester Report Card















































Thankfully, Avery had stayed well and has only missed school for a doctor's appointment or two this semester. I hope she's always this motivated to learn and that her joy never dissipates. Kindergarten is off to an incredible start!
It's a GREAT day to be a pirate!








No comments:

Post a Comment