Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Vacation 2010




























Well, our summer vacation has come and gone, but it was so relaxing and nice while it lasted! Seaside is a beautiful, family-oriented place to visit. It's actually where Vera Bradley's Inn by the Sea is located for those of you who have never been. Rather than a normal hotel or condo by the beach, you stay in quaint cottages. Our cottage, named Behind Time, is located across the street from the beach, tucked back in a shaded area with lots of trees and a white picket fence. While very small, it provided a nice, cozy little get away for us that was much needed and appreciated. In Seaside, everyone either walks or rides bikes everywhere because everything you need is located a short distance away from where you are staying. We walked and strolled Avery when we went out. The beach, is located right across the street from the cottage we stayed in, and it was gorgeous! I think we will make this our yearly vacation destination...hopefully, Jake will continue to make some sort of bonus for a winning baseball team, so we can afford it! Although there was a lot of seaweed in the water, we soaked up the sun and listened to the crashing waves, which is my favorite part of a vacation. I think it will be even more fun as Avery gets older because she will be able to enjoy it more....searching for seashells, building sand castles, etc. They also have a theatre on their outdoor stage, this year, it is Charlotte's Web. Like I said, it is all very family-friendly! My second favorite part of a vacation is EATING!! We mostly ate in our cottage with groceries we brought for breakfast, snacks, and lunch. We splurged on dinner, and I couldn't wait to eat each night!! One of my two favorite meals was the home-made pizza from a local pizza/pasta joint topped with prosciutto and mozzerella with fresh arugula. Our appetizer was also very good...a type of crawfish salad with kalamata olives on toasted bread. The other was so very yummy....an appetizer of crabcakes and fried green tomatoes, then smoked gouda cheese grits topped with blackened shrimp covered in a rich cream sauce with mushrooms and then topped off with sweet potato hay. It was DELICIOUS!! Of course, knowing me, I had several sweets along the way. There is a cupcake place, so I had a keylime cupcake which was very good, and I also had yobe' which is a type of frozen yogurt in a waffle cone topped with fresh fruit- both very tasty!! The only thing I regret now, was that I never ordered a piece of fresh key lime pie from the Southern Restaurant there. It looked sooo good, but I was way too full when we ate there!! We also bought some fresh blueberries from the local Farmer's Market on Saturday, which I enjoyed every morning with the bagels I brought. Overall, it was an awesome get-away, and I am so happy we were able to go this summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment