Thursday, July 29, 2010

My Little-Big Girl





I am so excited that Avery has FINALLY begun to drink from a sippy cup! I can't tell you how many different kinds I have bought, and she doesn't want anything to do with any of them!! You see, after her last surgery, she began to shun her pacifier. I don't know if it had to do with being in the hospital and us always giving it to her for comfort when we couldn't hold her, etc., or if it had to do with teeth coming in the front of her mouth, etc., but she just cold-turkey gave it up. A lot of people said what a good thing it was for her to do that, but to me, not so much! First of all, her bottle became her new pacifier, so, instead of taking her paci in the night, she only wants a bottle. Also, I just liked being able to give it to her as a soothing item when she cried, etc. Any way, no paci, just bottle, so I am so happy she will now take a sippy cup! The speech therapist we went to gave us two cups- neither one are spill-proof mind you, but they work for Avery. Our speech therapist is actually against giving spill proof, bottle-like cups because she says they hold kids back from developing the way they should with eating, etc. So the one Avery likes is just an old-school, tubber-ware like cup. The only catch is they can be difficult to find these days. When you do find them, however, they are cheap, which is nice. Once she learns how to drink from a straw, which we are working on now, we will be able to use a spill-proof straw cup- so I will like the less mess version! For now, I am just thrilled to see her drinking from this cup!

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Avery! So glad her cardiology appt. went well!

    ReplyDelete