Thursday, May 26, 2011

This too shall pass??

I worry so much about Avery and her eating. I understand that toddlers can be finicky eaters, but then I stress about the development of eating habits. Avery has always had issues with the texture of foods, so I understand why she won't touch fresh fruits and things like that. I've never been very concerned about that because she's always eaten dried fruit (raisins, craisins, apple chips) and drinks 100% fruit juice. Of course, vegetables have always been a headache, but she used to eat sweet potato fries, lima beans and corn at least. Now, she may eat a sweet potato fry or 2, but that's about it. I had the bright idea to blend smoothies, but she wasn't having it! Another problem, is that Avery will no longer eat apple sauce and yogurt which was a daily part of her food regimen. I thought she might take to the tubes of apple sauce and yogurt that she could squeeze out...not so much. She also used to eat different types of meat- she'd pick that first from her plate. Now, she won't touch it. She seemed to really love eating deli turkey (but she had to see me take it from the container, so she knew what it was), and that is over now too.

We sit down at the table for dinner every night as a routine, but lately, she hardly eats anything. Avery plays with her food, then picks up her plate and hands it to us, or pushes it away! It's "The Battle of the Hard-Heads," and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think she would win over me!! I've even tried getting her to watch and "help" me prepare her food. I've used the cookie cutters to make shapes for sandwiches. She likes that part, but don't try to give her a bite! It's not like I'm asking her to eat things that Jake and I don't eat. We are eating right along with her- she doesn't care. She will eat granola bars, Cheez-its, baked chips, and any other junk food containing chocolate. Oh, and she does love fried catfish and fries from the Frisco Deli- doesn't that sound healthy? lol. She won't drink white milk any more, so we put a little chocolate syrup in that, and she's stopped eating raisins unless they are yogurt-covered. We started giving her chocolate PediaSure again in place of her morning milk for the calories. She also gets a half of a Flintstone vitamin daily.

I'm really hoping her appetite picks up, and she does better soon. One thing is for certain, I've got a a hard-headed, carb-snacker on my hands!! The question is, how do I handle it without losing my mind and creating terrible eating habits for my child??

No comments:

Post a Comment