Friday, May 27, 2011

Burden or Blessing?






My dad got a new phone recently, and when he was tranferring his information, he came across these pics from when Avery was born. The first is of me kissing her head before her first heart surgery at one week old. The second one was taken in the PICU transition room. The next is of me feeding her the first bottle I'd ever fed her. The last is of her sweet little face, with her IV covered up with a newborn mitten. Avery will be 2 soon- oh how far she has come, and oh how faithful God has been!



I was sitting and thinking today about how some serious burdens are really blessings in disguise. Laura Story's song "Blessings" probably got the ball rolling in my brain for that one, but seriously, have you ever thought about it? When my doctor found the cystic hygroma covering Avery's body, I was completely devastated. It was terrible at the time. Now, looking back, I see that it was truly a blessing in disguise. If it weren't for the hygroma, Avery's heart may not have been screened directly after birth for CHD. We could've gotten home with her and found out when it was too late. If it weren't for the hygroma, Avery's Turner Syndrome may not have been diagnosed until a later time. We wouldn't have been aware of all her medical needs or the preventative measures that needed to be taken. It's amazing that something so awful really richly blessed us in the end. More than anything, it helped me to understand what an unbelievable miracle it is that my little girl is running, jumping, laughing and playing- she's alive and well. I don't think I would realize just how crazy it is that she is here if it weren't for the hygroma's burden and the obstacle she had to overcome to get here. Just something to think about the next time you're faced with something seemingly horrific.

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

No comments:

Post a Comment