Monday, June 9, 2014

Fun and Fabulous Five!

I
AVERY IS...
FEISTY, FRIENDLY, FUNNY, FIRMLY FIXATED, FULL FORCE, FABULOUS, FROLICKING, FLYING HIGH....
FIVE!




The Lord will work out his plans for my life- for your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever. Don't abandon me, for you made me. Psalm 138:8 

Newborn


One


Two


Three


Four


then...WHAT??!!

How is it that my first baby, the one who completely rocked our world and changed our lives forever, is now FIVE?????? I remember the day I took that test. There was a faint line that was questionable. I'd taken so many of those things that I was prepared for disappointment, but seeing that little glimpse of a line gave me hope. I called my friend, Sara, because I remembered her saying that it happened to her, and she really was pregnant. She encouraged me to go buy a digital test, so I did, and when it read "Pregnant", I was ecstatic! Then came that dreadful day when the ultrasound tech found that terrible life sucking thing called a "cystic hygroma", and for a moment, all of those hopes and dreams I'd had about becoming a mother for the first time seemed very dismal. I thought in that moment that the hygroma was the worst thing to ever happen to me, but isn't it funny how sometimes the darkest things turn into the brightest? That hygroma was supposed to end Avery's life, and if it didn't do the trick, surely her Turner Syndrome, heart, kidney, or some other physical issues would have. The most amazing thing is that it didn't. None of those things did. God is working out his plans for her life and for mine. When things get scary, he shows up in the smallest and biggest of ways. It's incredible that every single day I am able to look into her big blue eyes and know that he is with me and that ALL things are possible through him. Sure, I knew he was before Avery, and I could see him in daily things, but this is different. It's as I said, life-changing. 

I'm wishing my beautiful (not so) little red-head an incredibly happy and HEALTHY birthday! May you have many, many, many more my Avery-loo-hoo! 


Avery's birthday party goods...


Thank you, Mrs. Linda Turner, for helping Mommy with the shirt. 




It's time for our annual birthday photo shoot!




Thank you, Miss Kristen Warren, for helping Mommy with the necklace!









"The Birthday Dancing Queen" 









Avery's gift from Mommy, Daddy, and Bryce...





Avery got her first American Girl doll! It has red curly hair and blue eyes like Avery, and she named it "Avery" too. Her nickname is "Baby". She loves it!












We celebrated Avery's birthday with a party at Miller's in Brandon. She was able to make pizzas and bounce and play with her friends and family. Everyone had a great time! 







Mommy made strawberry cupcakes, and thankfully, everyone said they were delicious! 


party favors




Avery's cupcake









Bouncy time!


Trey McGriff and Avery 


Parker Owens, Avery, and Ella Owens









Pizza making time! 


Avery and Jaxyn Mangum












Bryce and his "girlfriend", the adorable, Macy Burney!



Avery and Ross Burney



























She was proud of her pizza! 


Grammy and Daddy


The Owens Crew


This is what Bryce looked like most of the party! He wore his fussy pants!


GG, Papaw, and Jener




Opening gifts...











The Birthday Chef


Trey


Abby Grace


Ella


Jackson


Jaxyn? and Ross 


Mary Caroline and Conner


Ross?


Miss Macy






Bryce was happy about the pizza, cupcake, and ice cream!





Mary Caroline Germany, Avery, and Conner Germany- they've been friends for a couple of years now! 


More bouncy fun!



Mommy's friends, Candy and Kristi 


Mommy and Mrs. Anna


Katelyn and Amber helped with Avery's party, and they were super sweet, hard-working girls. We had a great experience at Miller's!


We are so blessed by the beautiful people in our lives! In a scary world that makes raising children a some times daunting task, being surrounded by people who genuinely love you, pray for you, support you, and set positive examples sure is priceless. I pray God continues to keep them around us, and that he adds to the bunch throughout the rest of our time here. 

What a day! Avery had a blast at her party with all of her friends and family! She was so excited to take a bath and put on their matching pajamas! Once again, thank you, Mrs. Linda for adding the "A" to these cute PJ's for her!


Avery's last night as a 4 year old! GG made the matching PJs by the way!


A night-night birthday hug from brother...


Officially Five!








Our birthday Chick-fil-a tradition...



We had breakfast rather than lunch this year because Daddy had to head out of town for work! 










Avery loves going to play at Catfish Row, so we took her for some splash pad fun. 







Then, we dropped by for a Sno-Biz on the way home. Avery's request: red and blue like Spiderman


Avery Update! 


Avery has been undergoing allergy testing for some time now. She has a continuous cough that wakes her up at night, and her nose is constantly running. She also tends to get ear infections (mainly fluid) that affect her hearing. After some recent blood testing, we found out that Avery has "IGA" which basically means her immunity is low. Now some of her constant issues make sense. This is basically treated with antibiotics; however, Avery is already on a daily prophylactic antibiotic to prevent kidney infections (due to her reflux and abnormal kidneys). She will undergo another tube surgery this week (6/12) to replace her tubes (and remove/replace the one that is still hanging in her right ear). I am ready for the surgery because we've all had to yell at her for her to hear us lately (like she's a little old lady, lol)! She will also have her sweet ears pinned while she is already under anesthesia which will stretch her procedure time to about an hour. Avery is still doing well with  her daily growth hormone injections (while we tire of giving daily shots, they are working), and her daily thyroid meds are keeping her hypothyroidism in check. We realize now that a lot of her (what seem like) odd behaviors and quirks (constantly being hot, insomnia, anxiety, etc.) seem to stem from the thyroid levels being elevated (even within the "normal" range). We will continue with the allergy testing and see what it reveals with time. Avery has her cardio check-up this month, but we have no reason to think things aren't going well with her heart. While the pulmonary valve leaks a good bit, and there are other issues present, her heart continues to handle it well. When her heart begins to struggle, that is when we will look at open heart surgery again. Amazingly, there are other options these days, but due to Avery's small size, that won't be an option for her. Avery will not see her urologist again until September I think. She will have another VCUG, and he will probably put off open surgery on her kidneys again as long as she doesn't begin having infections. Physically, Avery is still one of the most agile, balanced, and flexible little kids I've seen. She did a great job in her first recital recently, and also graduated from K4! Avery will complete K4 again in the fall at Agape Christian Montessori School in Vicksburg, We feel like it will be best for her to do so because she has always been a little behind academically and needs time to mature. We are setting things up for her to continue speech in Vicksburg as well. Avery has grown and learned SO much this year. It is amazing how her speech has improved! She has great conversations with us, and her vocabulary has grown a great deal (thanks in large part to her therapist, Miss Angie, and her teacher, Miss Dena). Avery is also a social butterfly and does great interacting with other children and making friends. She is an amazing big sister as well! Avery still struggles in recognizing and understanding numbers. She forgets some of her letters from time to time as well. Once she knows something, she knows it, if that makes sense. She struggled with her colors for quite some time, but then it clicked and she always remembers them now. She needs a little extra help with things, but she always gets it eventually. Avery continues to write her first name, and we will work on her middle and last names this summer as well as some other things I have up my sleeve! Hopefully, I can trick her into learning a little from me which will be a challenge. We also plan to send Avery to my dance teacher, Debra, this summer (and fall too) for dance camp! We believe Avery can do anything, and she proves us right every day! While the future and unknown is always a bit scary for me, Avery makes me excited about it. I can't wait to see her continue to overcome the odds and face her fears!

Newer "Avery-isms"

"Mommy, you mean."
"I not mean, I nice."
"I can do it all by myself."
"I want to swing higher."
"Call me, mateys" (her version of "Call Me May Be" which was her tap recital song)
"Let it go, let is goah, nash a me na no..." (Frozen)
"Why'd you change shirts/pants/anything?" (the girl always knows what you are wearing and notices when you change it, lol.)
"Where we goin' tomorrah?"
I don't think I ever post "Uncle Lise" for her friend "Analise,"
and my personal favorite, "Mommy, you look boo-tiful!"



Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.

I will strengthen you,

Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. 

~Isaiah 41:10




Additional Birthday Business...
Since Avery's best buddy, Kate-Bug, couldn't make it to her party, we had a little play-date at Chick-fil-a the week following it. Avery and Kate had fun catching up, playing, and eating ice cream and chocolate chip cookies! Kate gave Avery some princess heels and jewelry- she knows her too well! 


No comments:

Post a Comment