Friday, June 6, 2014

Avery's First Dance Recital

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a BEAUTIFUL 
butterfly!


Talk about overcoming some things this year! My little butterfly has fought through some tough anxiety and fears this year, and I couldn't be more proud of her. It may seem silly for a mommy to get excited about her little girl smiling in dance pics, but I am! More than that, I am relieved. Many people don't know the battles we've fought or the meltdowns we've dealt with over costumes or anything that is "unknown." Avery gets all worked up over things that most kids don't give a second thought. We often get strange looks or looks of concern from others wondering what could possibly be wrong with her or the situation. The truth is, it is just Avery! Sometimes, Avery works herself up in a most dramatic fashion, and other times, she legitimately becomes excessively afraid and has anxiety over the smallest of things...a hat, a pair of glasses, a wig, an odd choice of outfit, characters in costume, and the list goes on. It in turn, makes Jake and I as her parents increasingly anxious and worried when we have to do things or attend things. We've continued to push through it, and we've tried our best to expose her to things over and over again to get her over this issue. Avery was also blessed with the staff at Miss Mandy's who worked with her and took her into consideration over and over again during her time there. Luckily, when it came to dance, Miss Whitney helped her and loved on her, and Avery learned so much. We decided to send Avery to Dance Unlimited when my former student teacher turned coworker, Whitney, told me she would be teaching classes in Florence. Avery was introduced to dance over the summer in Byram, and she really enjoyed it, so we were excited to see how she'd do throughout the year. Avery just glows when she dances, and she gets so excited when she gets to class. We have all felt overwhelmed with joy watching her perform! 

While she WOULD NOT even try on her costumes for the longest time, I forced her to put them on. Yes, I held her down, kicking and screaming, and then I pranced her around the house to show everyone (and to show her there was nothing to be afraid of). It must have worked because she willingly put her ballet costume on for pictures. She would only put on a little lip gloss for make-up that day, but that is more than okay. She did begin to cry and melt down when we got there and saw other girls in costume and make-up, but Miss Whit put on "Let it Go," and Avery began to shine (and dance and sing). She took some beautiful pics that day! 


Avery was very excited for her GG and Grammy to come to a dance class this year, and they both did. Jake and I both took turns taking her, and sometimes we both took her to class. She's a lot of fun to watch! All of the girls were. They are so funny and cute at this age. 
Below are pics from Avery's last dance class. Can you tell that tap is her favorite? It was mine too until I fell in love with jazz. 































Avery's recital was at the end of May, and of course, her rehearsal was the night before. I was anxious about the rehearsal because we'd paid for EVERYTHING, and I didn't know until we got there is Avery would actually pull through and perform. What a waste of time it was to worry for this one! Avery never once got upset at the rehearsal the night before. She was excited to dance on a stage, and she couldn't wait for her turn! She asked me to give her "princess" hair, so I straightened it like Miss Dena liked to do at school. She had a blast, so I really couldn't wait to see her the following night at the actual recital! 




UNSPEAKABLE
Dance Unlimited Showcase 2014
Cain Hall, Hinds CC in Raymond
May 31, 2014

Miss Whitney asked me to be "Stage Mom," and I am actually relieved that I was. I got to spend the entire "first" recital with Avery and get her and her friends on and off the stage. I also got to watch her perform up close from back stage. It was some great mother-daughter time. I just beamed watching her on stage, and at times, I really wanted to break down and cry. She is so full of life! Avery did amazing, and she was SO excited through it all. Well, until Cinderella showed up to visit all the girls! The first time we saw her was backstage, and I almost croaked when Avery let out a huge scream! I was the one in charge of keeping 3-4 year old little girls still and quiet before their routine, and here mine was screaming at the top her lungs and crying all of her make-up off. This was also about the third time I'd put that make-up on because she was overly tired and had a tantrum in the car on the ride over. Thankfully, Cinderella sneaked by and was sorry she'd upset Avery. I think if she hadn't worn a wig, Avery wouldn't have been so upset. Avery recovered just in time to run on the stage and rock her tap routine. We didn't have any more problems until Cinderella showed back up in the dressing room! I never wanted to say, "Seriously?  Take a hike!" to a princess more than I did at that point, but all of the others were happy to see her, lol. Avery once again got over it, but then we ran into her at least two more times and went through the same scene! I guess we won't be headed to Disney any time soon, but we are getting better! Avery did a fabulous job her ballet routine as well, and before we knew it, the show was over.  



Miss Pouty Pants before the show....I guess she wasn't impressed by the flowers? 






Bryce is happier about heading to the show than his sister!


Things change in a blink with this girl. We got back stage, and Miss Sassy Pants was back in business! 





Avery loves Miss Whitney, and I do too! She is one awesome person, and we will miss seeing her every week next year. 






















After the show, we headed to Clinton and had some dinner at Froghead's with Papaw M. and Grammy. Avery was starving! 




We got back home, and Papaw told her how proud he was of his girl. She loves him so much. 


Well, I guess that's a wrap on Avery's first year of dance and recital! I'd say she overcame a lot in this adventure, and I look forward to seeing if she continues her love of dance or moves on to something else. Only time will tell. 




No comments:

Post a Comment