Saturday, July 23, 2011

Avery's First HGH Shot













It's been a lazy, rainy day at the Bell house. Avery spent the day playing around the house in her adorable rain boots! She's become quite fond of them as well as her pink glitter mary jane squeaky shoes! One of her new favorite places is the kitchen window sill. She sits there and talks to herself or passers-by all the time- little cutie-pie. Late this afternoon, the Phizer nurse from Memphis, Nurse Watson, showed up to lead us through giving Avery her first shot of Genotropil. I had it in my head beforehand, that Jake would be giving the first shot, but I ended up doing it myself. Avery, of course, cried as soon as she saw Nurse Watson who was wearing bright orange scrubs! She was very sweet, and Avery stopped the crying and went back to watching The Fresh Beats in no time. After the demonstration, Avery knew something was up when we all began walking towards her, lol! Daddy held her, and I quickly injected the medication. She cried briefly, mostly like her feelings were hurt, but was much better after getting her Dora bandaid and bottle sucker. Yes, I gave her one of those nasty bottle shaped suckers with the powder candy inside! She can't get to the powder stuff, and the girl loves a bottle, so I figured it was the least I could do after sticking her! She seemed to like putting her monkey sticker on the little chart I made, and since it was her first time, we gave her a little happy- an etch-a-sketch- to play with.Being the polite little Southern Belle that she is, Avery told Nurse Watson "bye bye" and blew her kisses. She did it so much in fact, that Nurse Watson knew her time was up and headed out the door, lol. I can see now how this will become routine, and feel much better about doing this daily. I'm sure some days will be easier than others, but it's the same with anything, right? We will give her injections 6 days a week, and have decided to do so before her bath each evening. So shot 1 at age 2 is over, now we'll go on until the approximate age of 16! I'm so proud of my little munchkin- she's so tough! I'm even a little proud of myself! I've always turned away when giving blood or getting shots, so to actually give one to my own child, that is something! While Avery may not understand right now, I think she will be thankful she was able to get these injections to reach a more average height. She gave me sugar afterwards and then a high five, so my fear of her being upset with me is gone! Thanks for all of the prayers as always! ♥

1 comment:

  1. Megan. You are so incredibly strong. You are one of the most positive people I know. I am praying you, your husband, and your precious little Avery. One of my favorite bible verses is "With God all things are possible." With Him you can do all things (even the things you don't really want to). God bless y'all!

    ReplyDelete