Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Avery's Hearing Test

Avery had to go to a follow-up visit with the audiologist today, because her last hearing test was pretty much inconclusive due to her being so young. They didn't think anything was wrong at the time, just thought she may do better once she got a little older. I guess that wasn't very accurate. She went today (Jake took her because I am trying to keep from taking off of work), and she tested mild to moderate. The audiologist said it could be due to the fact that Avery has fluid in her ears, so she scheduled an app. with the ear, nose and throat Dr. for Tuesday. Jake said that Avery did fine at first, but then got fussy and the test went down hill after that. How those tests can be accurate with a child her age amazes me any way. Once she got done with the test, they checked her canals, and that didn't go over well either (of course). Now, she will see the ear, nose and throat Dr. and go back for another follow-up. The audiologist says that there may be nothing wrong, but they can't rule it out until she passes. I don't think hearing is a problem for Avery due to the fact that her speech seems to be right on track, and she doesn't show any signs of not hearing well. The way the little woman keeps up with the beat of music makes me think even less of it all! Still, in the back of my mind, I know that hearing loss is associated with TS, and it makes me a little nervous. Hopefully, all is well, and we can rule it out with the next test. Other than that, she has an endocrinology appointment coming up. I don't think there will be any unexpected news there....she may have some blood work done to check thyroid, etc., but I'm thinking it will be more of a check-up to record information on her. She's expected to begin GH injections once she turns 2 this coming summer. Praying for her to keep doing well, and for her hearing to be PERFECT like her sweet little smile!

1 comment:

  1. I hope her appointment goes well. I have a feeling it will. Cain had a hearing test last week. I think this is the 4th hearing test he had gone through since birth. Every time they "feel every thing is fine" but always inconclusive. I'm not worried at all about Cain's and personally a little tired of having to take him back every 6 months. The last appointment I had been told last weeks appointment would be his last. Then at the end of the appointment they said they would see me back in 6 months. I questioned this and they said he would keep coming back every 6 months until he was 3. They said he could have hearing problems that wouldn't arise until later. They are really nice but I think it somewhat has to do with him going to a teaching hospital...grad students, etc. looking at him. I'm with you....pretty amazing they can figure anything out with those machines. I'm not worried about Cain's hearing at all. I'll keep doing what we are told and take him as long as insurance is paying for it. Again, hope Avery's turns out perfect.

    ReplyDelete