Saturday, February 18, 2012

It's a Happy Heart Month!

33


Since Turner Syndrome Awareness Month and Heart Month are in February, I want to make a tradition of doing fun and special things with our special girl! We did some fun art projects, like marble painting, and I did a few crafty things I found on Pinterest (my addiction). I think Avery liked looking at my cheesy decorations, so it made it worth the time. 










Sweet Mrs. Linda made Avery two special shirts. Avery was so proud to wear them. The black one says, "There is no bravery without Avery." I never thought how Avery's name is found in the word "bravery," but isn't that sweet? 





Avery and Jake sent roses to school for my Valentine! The funny thing is that I had a textbook professional development in Jackson today, so I wasn't at school! Thankfully, Avery's daycare is right by our school, so I dropped by to pick my surprise up after getting her. Can you believe this is the first time I've ever gotten flowers at work? They are beautiful and I appreciate the thought from Jake more than he knows. Hopefully, he enjoyed the homemade Snickers I made him! They were sinful I must say! Avery made hand print art at school for us, marble paintings for her grandparents, and she took her teachers homemade candy. I printed out butterflies for suckers from Pinterest to give to her friends. Jake and I got her a Brobee pillow (her fav from "Yo Gabba") and she was very frightened by him! She LOVES him now- I guess it's because he is big! 






The Choctaws played baseball tonight (as they do every year I believe), and it was too cold for Avery to go to the game (I also can't imagine her at Smith-Wills yet), so we had a girls night Valentine dinner. She loved the "Pink Love Potion!" She used to love pancakes, but lately, all she will eat is the bacon. I made them pink with strawberries any way and added pink syrup and sprinkles! They were good to me! 






My awesome school is helping raise funds again this year for Cross Healed Hearts. How blessed am I to work somewhere that would be so supportive of this ministry that is so dear to my family? We even scheduled our own "Wear Red Day" this year. My students are all asking to make blankets for the babies in the hospital and my homeroom class bought over 800 stickers and won the nacho party I award for the class with the most sticker sales!

We couldn't forget Avery's special doctors during heart month! I made a sweet slideshow with pictures of Avery from before her last surgery to now, and told them how much we appreciate them. They are our heroes! Dr. Ebeid said it really warmed his heart and brought a smile to his face. Dr. Bacha said it was so gratifying to see Avery doing so well.  I sent "happies" to Dr. E, Nurse Carley, and our wonderful pediatrician, Dr. Van Norman and her nurses. They all have been so amazing to us, and taken such good care of Avery- we can never say thank you enough! I don't think I will ever go a year without acknowledging them for how they've helped us. I praise God daily that he placed us in the hands of wonderful physicians!


To end this month of awareness and fun, I attended the Pierce Allen Helms Benefit which is donating proceeds to the Batson Pediatric Heart Center. I am very excited about having two fantastic heart surgeons here in Mississippi. No child should ever leave our state with heart concerns again. What a relief that is for families! Dr. Salazar shared a very informative slide show with us and told about his vision for the Heart Center. The success they are having with saving lives is above the national average. Children that used to die are now being saved by new techniques. Avery should be able to have a much less invasive procedure (rather than open heart surgery) when the time comes to replace her valve! We also have imaging that is world class. Mississippi has come so far just in the past few years, and other states are now sending children to us! God is good! The following picture is a piece of art containing hand prints (including Avery's) of heart children with a special heart flower in honor of Baby Pierce. Erin did a wonderful job with this piece. It was presented to Dr. Salazar to be placed at Batson. 




Leah asked me to share Avery's story which is an honor considering all of the amazing miracles just in our area. I was extremely nervous after following a top-class heart surgeon and the stories of Leah Helms and Kristi Pena; however, my main focus was to thank the incredible staff at Batson for what they have done for our family while urging others to give and support our state's only children's hospital. I may be able to speak in front of many children daily, but adults are a different story! Hopefully, I got the point across and made sense! 



I enjoyed spending time with my buddy Lacey and visiting with Batson staff as well as local "heart" friends. A few people even told me how much they love giving out the heart pillows from Cross Healed Hearts. They said it is a very meaningful gift to patients and that one dad came back to the PICU (after his son was moved to the floor) just to have his nurse sign his son's pillow for him. That really warms my heart. It was a nice evening for a great cause, and I even won some hair products my friend Laura donated for the silent auction! 
I was also asked to participate in Blair E. Batson's Radiothon this year to share our story. It was a great experience for a cause that is very dear to our hearts. I spoke on 98.7 and 96.3. $381, 289.00 was raised for the hospital this year! 




I am continually surprised at the things I have done since Avery came into my life. God has put me to work in ways that I never thought were possible for me with my semi-shy personality. It's funny how He has you step our of your comfort zone to do things.



Happy Heart Month Everyone! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment