Saturday, December 3, 2011

Avery's Cardiac MRI

Miss Avery went in for a cardiac MRI on Friday at 6:30 a.m. On the way to our appointment, the song "Remind Me Who I Am," by Jason Graye, came on the radio. Avery began jamming (as usual- she really likes the beat of this song). When it got to the part where he sings the chorus "tell me once again who I am to you, who I am to you, Tell me lest I forget, who I am to you, that I belong to you," Avery shook her hands and pointed up on the "that I belong to you" part! She did it every time! I told her "that's right baby girl- you know you do!" As usual, once we turned onto Woodrow Wilson, the whining began. Avery cried for the first 30 minutes or so as we checked in, filled out paperwork, and checked her vitals. One things I did notice, however, is that she pointed her finger out for the nurse to put the pulse ox monitor on her finger. She finally stopped crying and began to play in the waiting room up until the anesthesiologist came to take her back. She put up quite a fuss! It took around 2 hours or so, and while we waited, we were able to speak with Dr. Rivard whose team does the MRIs (he reads them). He was very kind and extremely competent. He said he's been around the world (London for example), and that Avery couldn't get a better heart image any where else. Once again, can I say that I am SO thankful for Batson?! Any way, once they were finished, we went back to a very fussy toddler who was beat red. Avery was running a fever (around 100), and it only dropped to 99 degrees after about 30 minutes. I held her, but she wouldn't go back to sleep or calm down much. She was so red and hot, but they told me she was covered up with a blanket during the test, so I think she just got too hot and irritated. The doctor who did her first surgery with Dr. Jonas told us we could take her home any way after giving her some Tylenol. Sure enough, Avery was fine once we got her cooled off and out of there! Jake got to look at the amazing images with Dr. Rivard. He said it was amazing. He could see all of the repairs that were made, and saw her new aortic valve (which is actually her pulmonary valve that was moved in New York) opening and closing. I was occupied with Avery, and knew she was ready to leave upon discharge, so I didn't get to see them. :( Nurse Carley called us to let us know that Avery looks good, and Dr. Ebeid will see us January 9th at her check up! She even got a few images for me to look at since I missed out at the hospital.

We are once again overwhelmed with gratitude for the many prayers that went up (and continually do) for our little one. I stand firm in my faith, and know that God holds her each and every day. He has answered so many of my prayers in ways that I know He is speaking to me. Sometimes I look back on my life and wish that I'd known then what I know now about God. I guess that is just part of maturing in faith- seeing, understanding, and growing closer in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment